Cambridge Future Tech (CFT) is a technology-first venture builder working to commercialise exciting technologies from top-tier UK universities and corporate research departments. CFT focuses on DeepTech with strong commercial applications in massive global markets, all underpinned by world-class teams.
CFT was founded in late 2020 and has since established 11 ventures; in total, these companies have created dozens of new jobs, filed multiple patents, and raised many millions of pounds in funding. The CFT portfolio spans a wide range of technology areas, from semiconductors and robotics to advanced materials and synthetic biology.
CFT is hiring a Venture Analyst to support our growing portfolio. This position will sit within the core operational team at the venture builder. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to be directly involved with all of the varied tasks and decisions that go into turning an idea with commercial potential into an established, funded, staffed and growing DeepTech company.
We are seeking an ambitious and versatile Venture Analyst to support our day-to-day operations as a venture builder. You will play a crucial role in supporting our growing portfolio of ventures, in selecting new ventures to work with and in enabling key emerging technologies to realise their commercial potential. You will be directly involved in the research, due diligence, strategy and operations across the portfolio of companies, supporting the delivery of critical content and insights which will guide and define the journey that each company takes.
Key to your success will be the ability to work under pressure and with uncertainty, whilst maintaining collaborative relationships with key stakeholders from across the wider ecosystem. You will need to be highly organised, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You will be in regular contact with potential partners, suppliers, investors, and customers. You will need to be inquisitive, engaged, and receptive to new technologies and business ideas, while being comfortable giving your opinion and challenging the status quo.
This role will rotate through different functions in the venture builder. There will be four main areas of focus, between which emphasis may vary depending on the opportunities and requirements as they unfold. Ultimately, the aim will be to specialise in one of these areas after around 6 months. These areas are as follows:
- Market Analysis: Conducting research, analysis, content production and related exercises for both CFT and portfolio ventures.
- Portfolio Management: Working closely with several pre-seed funded CFT portfolio companies, operating as the conduit between the CFT core team and the venture team. This role involves gaining an understanding of the challenges facing start-up founders, and the people-centric solutions that are available to support them through coordination of CFT team resource against the requirements of the ventures.
- Project Management: Working with our nascent university and commercial spinouts to coordinate due diligence processes and CFT core team inputs to build the ventures prior to pre-seed funding, all framed within the flexible CFT venture building process.
- Business Development: Establishing and nurturing relationships with interest-aligned corporate partners to support sales within our consultancy business and strategic access for our ventures.
The role will report to the Research Director and will involve close work and collaboration across the CFT team and the portfolio ventures.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of key technology sectors such that you can credibly represent CFT when discussing spinout opportunities
- Scouting for promising IP and talented individuals through our academic and corporate partners and wider networks, to identify, assess and on-board new venture prospects
- Supporting portfolio companies:
- Supporting communication and project management activities between CFT’s portfolio companies, other nascent commercial opportunities, the core CFT team, and where relevant, our corporate partners.
- Conducting market and competition analysis
- Conducting market validation exercises (e.g. building relationships with potential customers and partners within a sector, to learn about an industry and develop towards commercial milestones)
- Helping to define strategy for IP and technology development
- Identifying key talent needs (leadership, technical, scientific, etc.)
- Identifying and applying for applicable grants
- Supporting investment documentation
- Creating promotional material, sales collateral, and other supporting content
- Business Development:
- Supporting our Commercial Director with prospecting and sales activities to establish new relationships with strategic corporate partners
- Assisting with relationship management with our strategic corporate partners to aid the success of existing projects and to secure repeat and expansion business
- Representing CFT at events: attend industry, ecosystem, and other networking events to develop relationships with new and existing stakeholders, including representing CFT as a speaker if required
- Contributing to regular CFT meetings and operational reviews
This role is for a nominal 40-hr week, with flexible working hours and potential to work a mix of home and office in Cambridge (expected minimum 3 days per week). Travel (UK and overseas) may be required to attend events, meetings, and more.
Ideal candidate experience
Specific experience in the following areas would be ideal, though not essential:
- Degree-level qualifications in any relevant field. Further academic qualifications (MBA, MSc, PhD, etc.) are preferred, but not essential.
- An understanding and passion for start-ups and entrepreneurship, particularly where it relates to the commercialisation of technology. Direct involvement in start-up communities (e.g. as an investor, founder, operator or otherwise) is preferred but not essential.
On top of this, the fast-changing environment around start-ups means that ideal candidates should also be able to demonstrate the following more general skills:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, including managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Resilience under pressure
- Excellent relationship & rapport building, and networking within the wider ecosystem, including building relationships with multiple different types of stakeholders at once
- Creative thinking, problem solving, and a drive to develop compelling innovative solutions to dynamic problems
- Understanding of start-up processes, including regulatory and legal constraints
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Private healthcare plan
- An ‘unlimited’ holiday policy (within reason); we advocate for a minimum of 4-weeks leave per year in addition to English bank holidays.
- Other benefits include gym membership, cycle-to-work scheme, your birthday as leave, volunteering days (organised by the company, nominally two per year) and regular family-friendly social events.
- Regular domestic and international travel
- Exposure to a diverse range of technologies and industries
- A collaborative, supportive, and innovative work environment
- Opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of DeepTech ventures with significant global impact
Should you feel deficient in one or two of the “Ideal Candidate” areas, please apply nonetheless! We are looking for a strong cultural fit and a can-do attitude above all else.
We are determined that Cambridge Future Tech is a diverse team made up of the best and brightest individuals without discrimination.
Apply for this job or share it